Appeal Programme Examination Committee

If your application is denied, it is possible to lodge a written appeal against the decision – within six weeks of the date of sending – with the Central Portal for the Legal Protection of Student Rights (CLRS), via the Objection and Appeal form on After submitting your objection or appeal, it will be forwarded to the appropriate body or official for processing – the CLRS will let you know immediately where it has been sent. The decision will be sent to you within 10 to 18 weeks depending on which body processes your objection or appeal.

Who can submit an appeal?

An appeal can be submitted with the Examination Appeals Board by an interested party, that is to say the person who is directly affected by a decision.

In principle, a person who is appealing against the result of an interim examination, that he or she has already passed, does not meet this requirement. In this situation he or she will generally not have an interest in appealing against a decision. There may be circumstances in which a person who has passed is nonetheless considered an interested party.

Grounds of appeal

If you disagree with the decision you can submit an appeal. However, you must be able to provide legal grounds for the appeal. The grounds of appeal are described in the WHW, i.e. the decision violates the law (Art. 7.61, second paragraph of the WHW). It may violate other general binding provisions, such as the Teaching and Examination Regulations of the faculty or the Study-, Teaching- and Examination Regulations (STER) of the Programme Examination Committee, or a principle of good governance. Examples of a principle of good governance are: 

  • the principle of trust (the PEC fails to meet a promise it has made)

  • the principle of equality (equal cases are not treated equally)

  • the principle of due care

  • the principle of justification (the decision is based on incorrect facts or is not well reasoned)

  • the principle of legal certainty

Naturally these must be well substantiated in your notice of appeal.